“Self-care” may sound like the latest buzzword for females, and for some even the term “self-care” may feel selfish. In a world where so much seems out of our own control, self-care focuses on what you can control – your wellness.
The Center for Women & Infants at UofL Health – UofL Hospital offers these tips for better self-care, which anyone can use and adjust for their own wellness needs:
- Make your health and happiness a priority.
- Listen to your body and rest.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get moderate-intensity exercise.
- Practice good sleep hygiene. Keep phones and other devices out of the bedroom. If you choose to keep your phone in your bedroom, turn it on “do not disturb” and turn it upside down. Set a bedtime and stick to it. Keep the bedroom dark.
- Reduce anxiety. Consider meditation, relaxation exercises, deep breathing or yoga.
- Practice gratitude.
- Consider journaling.
- Stay positive.
- Get outside for sunshine and fresh air.
- Adjust your expectations. Give yourself permission to make mistakes. Don’t compare your experience to others.
- Stay connected with friends and family.
- Take breaks from social media.
- Take “me time” and don’t feel guilty about it.
- Set goals for yourself and make a plan for when you will focus on attaining these goals.