Symptoms include sleeping more than usual, less energy, loss of interest, inability to focus and increased appetite.
To up your energy during the winter blues, try these tips:
- Maximize exposure to natural daylight, use light therapy and/or brighten up your home with lots of lights.
- Get outside (but bundle up!). Enjoy the outdoors by taking a walk.
- Stick to a regular schedule – including sleep schedule. This helps overall health by training our bodies and giving us more energy.
- Engage in activities you enjoy – volunteer, spend time with family and friends, or take a winter vacation.
- Practice healthy habits – exercise, get enough sleep, eat healthy foods, and make time for relaxation.
See a doctor if signs get worse. The Depression Center at UofL Physicians is available to help. Call 502-588-4450 for more information.