OB/GYN & Women's Health
The obstetricians and gynecologists of UofL Physicians are known for redefining women’s health care in the Louisville region. We have provided the most comprehensive, up-to-date medical diagnosis and treatment available at our present site for 40 years and to the women of the region since 1833 – 180 years of practicing and advancing the latest technology and techniques to ensure that women throughout their lives receive the best medical treatment available.
Formerly known as University Women's Healthcare, our care is compassionate, appropriate and effective. We address all gynecological and obstetrical problems, offering the latest, most practical solutions, in an all-in-one approach where we evaluate and provide treatment in our comfortable, friendly, well-equipped setting. Whether you are a young woman who needs family planning or a older woman with complaints of incontinence and menopause, we will address the OBGYN issues with a full evaluation in a convenient single Louisville location. If additional treatment is needed, our medical teams plan with you for the best outcome.
As members of the University of Louisville academic faculty, our women's health Louisville practice customizes your care through the use of our multidisciplinary teams of high-risk maternal-fetal medicine physicians, infertility doctors, cancer specialists and urinary and pelvic floor experts, as well at other medical specialists, including neonatologists, pediatricians, radiation oncologists, pathologists and social workers. Our laboratories, ultrasonography and referral physicians are on-site for your convenience.
Find an OB/GYN in Louisville by viewing the Our Physicians tab.
- Abnormal menstrual bleeding, including irregularities and pelvic pain, amenorrhea (absence of periods for hormonal reasons), menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding), endometriosis (painful condition when tissue that usually lines the uterus grows outside the uterus in the pelvis), premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), characterized by mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability and depression
- Infections of the vagina, such as vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Vaginal and urinary tract infections
- Vaginal atrophy and dryness
- Sores, lumps, itching or stinging or burning of the vulva or vagina
- Uterine fibroids and polyps
- Family planning
- Perimenopause and menopause issues
- Sexual dysfunction
- Breast pain, infections or changes
- Complete range of pregnancy, delivery and postnatal care, including vaginal birth and cesarean deliveries
- Management of ectopic pregnancy and a range of obstetrical emergencies, such as hemorrhage.
- Problems with a previous pregnancy, such as multiple previous miscarriages, premature birth, low birth weight baby, Rh sensitization, prior cesarean delivery or a desire for Trial of Labor after cesarean (TOLAC), prior stillbirth or early neonatal demise
- Pregnancy deemed "high-risk" because of another medical complications, such as hypertension, diabetes, Lupus, cancer, HIV, or diseases of the heart, thyroid, liver, kidney or autoimmune disease
- Multifetal pregnancy (twins, triplets, or more)
- Incompetent cervix, also known are cervical insufficiency
- Placenta abnormalities such as placenta previa (covering the cervix) or placental abruption (premature separation of the placenta)
- Premature labor threatening to result in early delivery
- Hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive nausea and vomiting during pregnancy)
- Pregnancy after the age of 40
- Reproductive abnormalities, such as double uterus
- Umbilical cord abnormalities, such as vasa previa, nuchal cord, umbilical cord cysts or knots
- Rh disease and other cases of alloimmunization
- Managing pre-existing conditions that require medications, such as seizure disorders, cancer, interstitial cystitis, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Women over the age of 35 or under 16 years of age who are pregnant
- Abnormal Pap smears (cervical dysplasia)
- Ovarian cysts, masses, and fibroids,
- Noncancerous and cancerous tumors of the female reproductive tract (ovaries, uterus, cervix, vagina or vulva)
Reproductive Endocrine and Infertility
- Infertility: evaluation and treatment
- Endocrine disorders, such as PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Menstrual disorders
- Menopause Pubertal abnormalities
- Pituitary tumors
- Bioidentical hormone therapy
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Gynecologic care of the elite athlete
- Turner syndrome
- Abnormal lactation
- Abnormal hair growth
Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
- Stress urinary incontinence or urgency
- Overactive bladder or frequency
- Nocturia (excessive frequency urinating at night)
- Fecal incontinence
- Cystitis (infection that causes a feeling of needing to urinate immediately or frequently)
- Interstitial cystitis (chronic painful bladder inflammation)
- Pelvic organ prolapse, such as a rectocele (weakened tissue that allows the front wall of rectum to bulge into the vagina), enterocele (vaginal hernia caused when the small bowel descends and bulges into the vagina), uterine prolapse (weaken muscles and ligaments that causes the uterus descends into the vaginal canal)
Our divisions offer a full-range of diagnostic and treatment services.
Our general obstetrician gynecologists provide for women of all ages yearly health maintenance screenings and treatment for female-specific medical conditions and diseases. We offer complete pregnancy care for routine and complicated deliveries. If you require surgery, our doctors perform a wide range of advanced laparoscopic procedures, such as supracervical hysterectomy, laparoscopic myomectomy, laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis and pelvic pain and pelvic floor reconstruction. With these less invasive procedures, patients recover faster with less pain and have lower risk of complications than with open abdominal surgeries.
As a recognized referral center, our maternal-fetal medicine physicians apply professional expertise and advanced technology in providing prenatal diagnosis and complete care and treatment of high-risk pregnancies throughout the antepartum, delivery and postpartum periods.
Our reproductive endocrinology and infertility specialists excel in comprehensive infertility evaluations and surgical procedures, including advanced operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. Our Louisville OBGYN physicians practice in a state-of-the-art fertility center with an in vitro fertilization program that has the highest live delivery rate in Kentucky. Our specialists also treat all diseases associated with the female endocrine system.
The gynecology oncology division specializes in the latest treatments for ovarian, uterine, cervical and vulvar cancers, as well as treatment of rare gynecologic cancers. At the renowned James Graham Brown Cancer Center, our specialists provide patients with expert diagnosis and management of cancerous and precancerous conditions, utilizing the latest in minimally invasive surgical procedures, including the robot and laparoscope. To provide the best care, treatment is tailored to each patient and type of gynecologic cancer.
Our female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery physicians diagnose and manage urinary and fecal incontinence; pelvic organ prolapse of the rectum, bladder and uterus; pelvic pain; and over-reactive bladder. Vaginal approach and advanced laparoscopy/robotic surgical reconstructive procedures offer less invasive options.
Specific treatments we provide include:
- Annual well-woman routine examinations and screenings
- Diagnostic gynecologic conventional and 4D ultrasound, performed to evaluate disorders of abnormal bleeding, pelvic pain, pregnancy
- Hysteroscopy (in-office procedure, performed to visualize the uterus in the evaluation of abnormal bleeding and/or pelvic pain)
- Sexual dysfunction
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic for removal of the uterus (hysterectomy), ovaries (oophorectomy), uterine fibroids (myomectomy) and endometriosis
- Colposcopy (in-office procedure that examines the cervix, vagina and vulva to evaluate abnormal Pap smears
- Vulvar/vaginal conditions
- Family planning, including all forms of birth control, such as the Mirena (hormonal IUD), Depo-Provera (birth control injection), oral contraception and permanent methods such as Essure and tubal sterilization
- Mid-life health care and menopause management
- Bone Densitometry for osteoporosis screening and management
- Pessary fitting for rectocele / endocele
- Complete care for routine and complicated pregnancies and deliveries, including prenatal counseling, and care throughout the antepartum, delivery and postpartum periods
- Pregnancy and fetal testing and diagnostics, including ultrasonography (with 3-D capabilities), amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- Maternal blood tests can determine a woman’s status regarding the Rh factor, immunity to rubella (German measles), Parvo virus, toxoplasmosis and chickenpox
- High-risk pregnancy evaluation
- Childbirth education
- Prenatal diagnostic tests, such as amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS), targeted sonogram examination, and percutaneous umbilical blood sampling (PUBS)
- Screening Tests such as 1st Trimester Screening and Multiple Marker Screening (or Quad Test) for genetic abnormalities
- Genetic counseling
- Intrauterine transfusion of blood to the fetus for an alloimmunized pregnancy, either from the Rh factor or other red blood cell factors
- Management of pregnancies complicated by heart disease and hypertension, cervical insufficiency, preeclampsia (high blood pressure), placental problems, premature rupture of the membranes, repeat miscarriages, and other diseases, such a cancer, that may worsen during pregnancy
- Cerclage for insufficient cervix
- Dilation and curettage (D&C) to clear the uterine lining for heavy bleeding or after a miscarriage
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgeries for removal of the uterus (hysterectomy), ovaries (oophorectomy), uterine fibroids (myomectomy), gynecologic cancers and pelvic reconstructive for prolapse
- LEEP procedure (in-office procedure for abnormal Pap smears [cervical dysplasia])
- BRCA testing for hereditary cancer
- Advanced laparoscopic and computer assisted robotic surgery for invasive and pre-invasive endometrial, cervical, ovarian, and vulvar cancers, as well as cervical dysplasia and gestational trophoblastic disease
Reproductive Endocrine and Infertility
- Diagnosis and treatment for infertility with advanced operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check for fallopian tube blockages
- Hysterocontrast sonography (HyCoSy) assesses tubal function.
- Medical therapies to induce ovulation
- Surgical procedures, such as in vitro fertilization, IVF with Blastocyct, IVF with ICSI, Egg Donor Recipient, Sperm Donor Recipient, Corrective Surgeries correct structural defects in the uterus and fallopian tubes, to remove scar tissue, fibroid cysts, or endometriosis, tubal ligation reversals (reanastomosisnosis), artificial insemination
- Egg donor program
- Sperm banking
- Fertility preservation
- Management of reproductive endocrine disorders, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Medicine
- Cystoscopy (in-office procedure used to visualize the bladder and urethra for the evaluation of incontinence, pelvic pain, overactive bladder, and interstitial cystitis)
- Management of pelvic floor disorders, such as urinary incontinence and pelvic organ
- Cystometrogram/urodynamic testing (in-office procedure to evaluation urinary incontinence and disorders of the bladder)
- Sacral Nerve Modulation (Interstim) for treatment of overactive bladder
- Botox injection to bladder for treatment of overactive bladder
UofL Physicians -Women’s Health takes pride in leading our medical community with the latest advances as we continue to redefine women’s health care in Louisville and in our region.
Physicians in this practice may not see patients at all locations listed below. For details, please call the appointment line for the location you are interested in visiting.
Offices and Clinics
- UofL Health Care Outpatient Center
401 E. Chestnut St.
Louisville, Kentucky 40202
View Google Map
- James Graham Brown Cancer Center
529 S. Jackson St.
Louisville, Kentucky 40202
View Google Map
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
(please call for an appointment
and for more information)
View Google Map
- University of Louisville Hospital
Our dedicated and compassionate physicians are well-trained, experienced and board-certified by the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Each of our Women's Health professionals is also an inquiring researcher and teacher of future doctors through the University of Louisville School of Medicine.
Our gynecologists offer comprehensive care of all a woman’s needs throughout her reproductive years, menopause and beyond. Our obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine physicians collaboratively provide complete pregnancy care, including prenatal diagnosis, management of complications and delivery. Our highly skilled laparoscopic and robotic gynecologic surgeons perform all pelvic organ procedures utilizing minimally invasive techniques.
Our reproductive endocrinologists excel in comprehensive infertility evaluations and surgical procedures including advanced operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. Our physicians practice in a state-of-the-art fertility center with an in vitro fertilization program that has the highest live delivery rate in Kentucky. Our specialists also are recognized for their high success rate of tubal reversals, treatment of PCOS and conception through the egg donor program.
University of Louisville Physician’s gynecology oncologists are experts in invasive and pre-invasive disease and procedures, using advanced laparoscopic and computer assisted robotic surgery. Each is skilled in the latest clinical modalities that are constantly enhanced by basic science and clinical research. A major partner, the James Graham Brown Cancer Center, provides the most sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic equipment and laboratories in the world. Research is focused on the treatment of endometrial, cervical, ovarian, and vulvar cancers, as well as cervical dysplasia and gestational trophoblastic disease. Carefully chosen and monitored regional and national research trials are offered, as medically appropriate, to ensure patient access to leading-edge therapies.
Clinical activities of the practice are broad, reflecting the diversity of skill and interest. Our team approach guarantees that our patients receive the most thorough diagnosis and treatment through our supportive network of medical professionals.
- Ali Azadi, MD, MSc
- Shan M. Biscette, MD
- Henry C. L. Bohler, MD
- Carol K. Brees, MD
- Christine L. Cook, MD
- Vernon D. Cook, Jr., MD
- Sean Francis, MD
- Tanya E. Franklin, MD, MSPH
- Jennifer R. Hamm, MD
- Peter S. Heyl, MD
- Donald B. Katz, MD
- Jeffrey C. King, MD
- Ronald L. Levine, MD
- James M. Mahan, MD
- Sharmila K. Makhija, MD, MBA
- Daniel S. Metzinger, MD
- Steven T. Nakajima, MD
- Lynn P. Parker, MD
- Resad Pasic, MD, PhD
- Sara E. Petruska, MD
- Mary Elaine Stauble, MD
- Jonathan W. Weeks, MD
- Marvin A. Yussman, MD
For more information or to make an appointment,